This was a job that kept sliding down the 'to do' list until I ran out of excuses for not doing it. In NSW, most rural areas, by the 1960s, had well established fences. I had constructed a few around specific buildings, one particular house and the water treatment plant. However, the glaring omission was a fence between the rail easement and the Philip's Creek village. I had previously purchased a few packets of the Kerroby Models wire fences to provide the fence posts and, in my late father's workshop, I found some very light gauge wire. This was very very old wire that had cloth rather than plastic insulation. In fact, the wire is that old that I suspect that my father may have acquired it from his father who used to work in the NSW Railways Electric Car Workshops at Chullora in the 1930s to 1950s. So another convoluted reason why I should stop procrastinating.
|The fence line with the bottom three wire strands fitting - and barely visible!|
|Another view of the fence - the Royal Hotel has suffered a bit during construction|
At the time of writing, this section of fence is only 60% completed and I'm beginning to think that I have wasted my time. There are still quite a few metres of fencing to finish. Maybe, I should have just planted the fence posts to create an optical line and let people's imagination do the rest. Certainly, the wire is barely visible in the accompanying photos. This probably means the gauge of the wire is about right but this activity has convinced me never to attempt power and telegraph line reticulation!!
However, not wishing to close on a negative note, I have added a few photos of the latest additions to the Philip's Creek roster, the recently weathered 36 class (that sound like a contradiction of terms) and the four completed CCHs.